Beautycounter is doing a Clean Swap Campaign to encourage women to swap out their traditional skincare and makeup products for a safer alternative..Beautycounter! Making lifestyle changes can be overwhelming so start slow with a few changes at a time to lessen your toxic exposure. I wanted to share the six worst offenders women commonly use on their skin on a daily basis.
1. Eye and Face Cream- traditional eye and face creams can affect the immune system by releasing formaldehyde from the preservatives they use..yes formaldehyde!! Not Beautycounter, their Countermatch Eye Rescue Cream and Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion are preserved naturally with phytic acid from green rice.
2. Facial Masks- Beautycounter masks are one of my favorite Beautycounter products because I love using them for self-care, and using them makes me feel like I'm at the spa. Traditional masks use thickeners called PEGs that can be contaminated with harmful chemicals that are being absorbed directly into your pores. Beautycounter masks use glycerin, which is naturally-derived and softens skin.
They have 3 masks to pick from depending on your skin needs:) The No. 1 Brightening Mask uses kanolin clay to deeply cleanse and vitamin C to reduce dark spots. Great for anyone with dull skin wanting to brighten up a little! The No. 2 Plumping Facial Mask uses plumbing peony root to help skin's elasticity and konjac root that smoothes appearance of fine lines. The No. 3 Balancing Facial Mask contains activated charcoal which reduces appearance of pores and salicylic acid which acts as an exfoliant. Perfect for oily skin. (No. 3 not pictured because I need to restock it!
I mostly use the No. 1 Brightening Mask about 2 times a week at night after I wash my face with the Nourishing Cream Cleanser.
3. Lotions- Using traditional lotions expose your skin to mineral oil and other toxic chemicals (another ingredient on Beautycounter's Never List.) Lotion is a big offender since you rub lotion over more areas of your skin. You may have heard that your skin is your largest organ and whatever we put on it is absorbed in our bodies and must be processed.
Beautycounter Hydrating Body Lotion contains marula and mongongo oils which are rich in essential fatty acids and bring moisture to skin. The Hydrating Body Lotion in Citrus Mimosa has been one of my favorite products this winter for dry skin and it smells amazing! I keep it in my purse!
4. Lipstick- Most traditional lipsticks can contain artificial fragrance, lead and trace amounts of phthalates (think endocrine disruptors)..and what we put on our lips we do ingest- think of how much lipstick you slowly swallow throughout the day. Beautycounter Sheer Lipsticks are only scented using natural vanilla and smell and look amazing. The lipsticks are moisturizing, light and they have beautiful colors to pick from for any occasion. Twig is a favorite of mine I keep in my purse that's simple enough for every day.
5. Mascara- Most traditional mascara contains a pigment called carbon black to create the rich black color but unfortunately is linked to several health problems. Beautycounter uses natural iron-oxide pigments instead. The Volumizing Mascara uses plant derived ingredients like carnauba wax and rice bran wax. The Lengthening Mascara contains organic bataua oil and carnauba wax to help condition lashes. I alternate between these mascaras and love both especially the application brushes are so soft.
6. Shampoo- I've always had a hard time finding a shampoo I feel comfortable using. Most shampoos contain SLS and SLES, surfactants that can irritate skin. Beautycounter shampoos use PureFoam Cleansing Technology from beetroot sugars that are very gentle on hair. I love the Smooth and Control because I tend to have frizzy hair sometimes. The Volume and Shape shampoo uses hibiscus plant proteins to give hair fullness and volume and is my husband's favorite. I wash my hair a few times a week and the rest of the days I use an organic dry shampoo.
My Beauty Counter Site
***Now here's the cool part, If you buy one of these six products featured in the Clean Swap from now until 3/7, you will receive your choice of a deluxe sample for FREE. You choose between Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion, Body Wash, No. 2 Plumbing Facial Oil, Volume and Shape Conditioner, and Smooth and Control Conditioner.
Using safer products is crucial for me on my health journey with autoimmune disease and PCOS. I feel very confident in beautycounter and their dedication to promotiong awareness and pushing for safer skincare laws. Please email me if you have any questions about what products are right for your skin or if you just want to chat about safer products in general.
Disclaimer: I'm proud to be a Beautycounter consultant, which means if you buy one of their high quality products, I will receive a small commission.