NAC - A promising Supplement for PCOS
Happy New Year! I hope this year will bring good health and progress in your PCOS journey. This year my health goal is the same as the past several years..to keep fighting PCOS! This year I will also continue to research and stay up to date on the best ways to fight PCOS and improve health and fertility.
If you read my pregnancy post, you will notice one of the things I credit to helping me get pregnant was taking a supplement called NAC (N-acetylcysteine). I started taking NAC last January at the recommendation of my Naturopathic Doctor. At the time she recommended it, I had never heard of it. But after a lot of research I decided to give it a try..I'm SO thankful I did. I wanted to share two excellent articles I have come across recently on the benefits of NAC for PCOS and my experience taking it.
My Experience with NAC:
As I mentioned before, I started taking NAC last January just a few weeks after my miscarriage at the advice of my Naturopathic Doctor. She said it would be helpful with promoting ovulation. I have taken clomid ALOT in the past and sometimes it made me ovulate and sometimes it didn't. Clomid made me an emotional and anxious mess and if I could do it all over again, I would try NAC instead because it's a natural supplement vs clomid which is artificial.
A lot of doctors may have never heard of it, so don't get discouraged. Print out these articles to take to your doctor and show you've done your research. Be your own advocate! After starting on NAC, I quickly noticed some amazing benefits.
Benefits for Me:
- More stable blood sugars- don't have any labs to back this up, but I could tell in my improved moods and reduced carb cravings.
- Weight loss- I think NAC really helped me lose the baby weight after my miscarriage.
- More regular cycles- Since I chart my cycles I could visibily see the difference in my cycle lengths.
- More frequent ovulation- I had ultrasounds over the course of several months to confirm a follicle developed and ruptured.
- Pregnancy! I got pregnant 6 months after starting on NAC.
Here's a link to the NAC I ordered by Thorne. You can also order it from Amazon.
Now I'm not saying NAC is a miracle supplement that will definitely help you get pregnant. I was taking a lot of other supplements at the time. But NAC is my favorite supplement that I have ever taken, and I definitely noticed HUGE improvements in my symptoms (my second favorite supplement is myo-inostiol). I wanted to share these articles and encourage you to talk to your doctor about taking it and give it a shot:) And remember supplements are no substitute for a poor diet and high stress.
* Remember to always talk to your doctor before beginning any supplement.